Sunday 19 May 2013

A Little Side trip for Ants


We became friends with Dick and Gail off a motor yacht Ice Dancer II. Yes friends with people off a power boat!
Ice Dancer II in Majuro
Gail had to fly home to Alaska with some health issues and Dick needed a hand to get Ice Dancer back to Hawaii. So Ants jumped on board to motor 2000 nms upwind.
The immaculate LARGE engine room
A bit about the boat. She is a Nordhavn 56' of about 60 tonnes and a million dollar plus luxury long distance boat with 80000 miles under her keel. She has a John Deere 350 HP main engine with a 36 inch 4 blade prop and a 90 HP wing engine with folding prop which also has hydraulics for bow and stern thrusters and winches. A couple of big generator sets fit easily in the cavernous engine room. 8000 litres of fuel capacity gives a range of 2500nms at 8 knots.
 
Dick looking after the John Deere
 Dick and Gail have been all over the Pacific and Cape Horn and Australia (Port Davey in Tasmania was a favourite).
In better weather enjoying a fish dinner
The trip from Majuro was upwind in 18 to 20 knots for the first 2 days and I struggled a bit with the motion (most unusual for me). I still managed my watches plus a couple of small repairs deep in a bilge and up the radar mast. Then the wind went light and we had 9 days of easy motoring to Hawaii.
The Blue Marlin we released unharmed
A Brown Boobie
We had a good catch of a 100 something pound Short Bill Spear Fish (great eating) and a catch and release 40  something pound Blue Marlin.
Sunrise in North Pacific
A very easy trip saw us arrive pre dawn at the Ko Olina marina and after a little hassle with immigration (my electronic visa waiver didn't work on a private yacht ;they did waive eventually the $585 penalty) I enjoyed 3 days in Hawaii before flying home to the Marshalls.
An interesting side trip but I am a yachtie at heart. I think it will take the European canals to convince me to be a power boat man!

2 comments:

  1. Not sure if it's Jane's or Ants' voice speaking but I'd say the motion sickness assertion is NOT trueif it's Jane! Jane ALWAYS used to be car sick when younger - so it's something grown out of.
    Ants looks like he's quite comfy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ter, you know me (Jane) too well.....Ants experienced motion sickness during the first few days of this trip and actually said he felt 70% which is unheard of. Me, I have quite often felt less than 40% in rough conditions ......but Mum sent me a super dooper travel sickness pill which I am hoping might help me on longer ocean crossings!! Jx

    ReplyDelete